Classical Studies Minor
Download a classical studies minor advising worksheet, here.
Students whose major area of interest is not classical studies may nonetheless find that a minor in classical studies makes an invaluable contribution to their studies. The minor requires a total of seven courses and must include the following:
- The lower-division sequence in elementary Greek or Latin language (Greek 1 and 2 or Latin 1 and 2)
- LIT 184A, Introduction to Greek Literature (formerly LTGR 100), or LIT 186A, Introduction to Latin Literature (formerly LTIN 100)
- any four of the upper-division courses listed as satisfying the classical studies major requirements.
There is no comprehensive examination for the minor.
Declaration of Minor Procedure
STEP ONE: Download Forms
Download three forms:
- A Petition for Major/Minor Declaration from the UCSC Undergraduate Advising Center. Fill out the petition to the best of your ability. Be sure to indicate your expected graduation term (EGT) on the petition. Your EGT can be found in your Student Advising Summary on your MyUCSC Student Portal.
- A classical studies minor planning worksheet (PDF). Fill out the form to the best of your ability. Include any completed and in-progress coursework on the worksheet. Use the classical studies course synoptic to plan for future course enrollment.
- A UCSC Academic Planning Form. Fill out the form to the best of your ability. Your major adviser and the history undergraduate program coordinator will also advise and assist you in completing this form.
STEP TWO: Declare Your Major
Complete the declaration requirements for your major(s). Obtain your major adviser's signature on the Petition for Major/Minor Declaration and the UCSC Academic Planning Form.
*Even if you have already declared a major(s) in a previous quarter, you are still required to complete step two. Checking in with your major adviser beforehand verifies that the addition of the classical studies minor will not negatively impact your degree progress.
STEP THREE: Meet with a Classical Studies Adviser
Meet with Dr. Jennifer Lynn, the classical studies academic advising program coordinator, to review and discuss your proposed plan of study. You may be advised to modify your plan to achieve greater breadth or concentration. Obtain Dr Lynn's signature on your classical studies minor planning worksheet.
STEP FOUR: Complete Declaration of Minor
See the history undergraduate program coordinator during drop-in advising hours to complete the declaration process.You must bring your completed classical studies minor planning worksheet, Petition for Major/Minor Declaration, and UCSC Academic Planning Form in order to complete the declaration process.
2016-2017 Declaration of Major/Minor Deadlines
Fall 2016: October 21, Friday
Winter 2017: February 10, Friday
Spring 2017: April 28, Friday